Roma Week European Parliament 2023
Hosted by MEP PETER POLLÁK
Date and Time: 27 April 2023- 11:30h-13:15h
Venue: REDI premises, Rue Arlon, 25 – 1000 Brussels
The Economic and Investment Plan for Western Balkans (EIP) called for efforts to open the possibility for vulnerable groups’ labour market inclusion, with special attention to Roma, in investments in infrastructures.
The Western Balkans Investment Framework (WBIF) is the main financial vehicle for the implementation of the EIP. The European Commission, together with financial institutions and bilateral donors, invest in a number of priority areas in the region including: sustainable transport, climate and environment, clean energy, human capital, infrastructures, digital and business sector development.
In 2021, the WBIF launched an Informal Expert Working Group, led by the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (EBRD), to explore how through public procurement legislation and incentives, vulnerable communities can be involved in the deployment of infrastructures. As result of the Informal Expert Group, a pilot project, led by the EBRD, was launched in 2023 for the construction of a waste management infrastructure in North Macedonia.
The objective of the meeting is to present the WBIF pilot project and discuss how can Socially Responsible initiatives offer new employment opportunities to vulnerable communities, including Roma.
Welcome: Petrica Dulgheru
Video message: MEP Peter Pollák
Introducing the session. 45 minutes
- Why socially responsible public procurement? Enrica Chiozza, European Commission, DG NEAR WBIF.
- The Inclusive Socially Responsible pilot project and North Macedonia Waste Management infrastructure. Sunita Pitamber, Associated Director, EBRD
- Challenges for North Macedonia, Katerina Kus-Ivanova, European Commission EU Delegation North Macedonia
Panel: Can Socially Responsible initiatives offer new opportunities to vulnerable communities? 45 minutes
Moderator: Petrica Dulgheru, Director REDI
- Urmeta Arifovska, Executive Director of RROMA
- Mabera Kamberi, Head of Unit for Technical coordination in the Ministry of Labour and Social Policy, North Macedonia
- Álvaro Gutiérrez Maestro, Secretariado Gitano
Conclusions: Marta Garcia Fidalgo